Thursday, February 28, 2013

Best Declarations of Love in Literature!

Speaking as someone who's life is in the "perpetually-romantically-challenged" category, in order to appease my romantic predilections, I must live vicariously through other means, particularly friends, movies, and, of course, books.  Recently, one of my dearest friends got engaged while away on a Banff ski week with her then boyfriend/now fiance/future ball and chain. I couldn't be happier for my friend. She's such a fantastic woman who deserves to have a really nice guy in her life. When she returned from her trip, I made her sit and regale me with the gory details of the proposal. It consisted of a mountain hike in the snow, an "untied" shoelace, a ring, and a nervous "Willyoumarryme?" declaration. While I've never been one of those girls who has a grand plan about how someone should propose marriage (ugh! why wouldn't you want to be surprised?), hiking in the snow would probably not be my first choice, but it's a very sweet story.

It started me thinking about all the declarations of love that I've read over the years and there have been hundreds upon hundreds. I wanted to pick out the ones that I think are the best of the best. This is not an easy task, but here's my list of the top declarations in love in literature. You'll notice that a couple are the same as my favorite weepy movies.  These are in order of publication.
  1. Much Ado About Nothing (~1598) by William Shakespeare.  Benedict [to Beatrice]: "I do love nothing in the world so well as you: is not that strange?"  (A few lines of dialogue later) Beatrice [to Benedict]: "I love you with so much of my heart that none is left to protest."
  2. Pride and Prejudice (1813) by Jane Austen. Darcy [to Elizabeth]: "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." Of course, after that quote, Darcy then completely screwed up the proposal by telling Elizabeth that she was inferior to him.  Fortunately, it all worked out in the end.  Darcy: "You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever." 
  3. Persuasion (1818) by Jane Austen. Frederick [to Anne]: "You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you."
  4. Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Bronte. Rochester [to Jane]: "I have for the first time found what I can truly love--I have found you. You are my sympathy--my better self--my good angel.  I am bound to you with a strong attachment. I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wraps my existence about you, and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one."
  5. Doctor Zhivago (1957) by Boris Pasternak. Yuri Zhivago [to Lara]: "You and I, it’s as though we have been taught to kiss in heaven and sent down to earth together, to see if we know what we were taught."
  6. Love in the Time of Cholera (1985/1988) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Florentino [to Fermina]: "I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love."
All such beautiful words. Did I miss your all-time favorite declaration of love from literature?  Let me know!


2 comments:

Almost 50 by Alvin Blackshear said...

I can agree with you, except "Love in the Time of Cholera". I find Gabriel Garcia Marquez such a hard read. I couldn't get past page 100 of "One Hundred Years of Solitude" which gained him the Noble prize in literature. It must be me.

Sandi said...

Tsk, tsk, Alvin. You did not read my post carefully. I merely said that these were the best declaration of love, not the best novels - although 5 out 6 are great novels/plays. I find Marquez unreadable as well - although Cholera is better than 100 Years. I just thought it was an amazing line in a mediocre book. :-)